Evidence in favour of reading paper books rather than via electronic: https://theconversation.com/the-enduring-power-of-print-for-learning-in-a-digital-world-84352
Due Dates and Details: Assignments, Tests, Projects, etc
January 23 - GOAL DAY - 1pm - Optional ReTest - in sections (you may complete as many sections as you wish)
- section 1: Concepts (multiple choice on the original test) [10 marks]
- section 2: Physics 11 level probs in 1-d (probs 1 and 2 on original test) [6 marks]
- section 3: Dynamics in 2-d (prob 3 on original test) [3 marks]
- section 4: Static equilibrium using net force (prob 4 on original test) [5 marks]
- section 5: Single mass on an inclined plane (prob 5 on original test) [6 marks]
- section 6: System of two masses on a table or pulley system (prob 6 on original test) [6 marks for block 1; 7 marks for block 2]
- section 7: System of two masses on an inclined plane (prob 7 on the original test) [8 marks for block 1; 7 marks for block 2]
- section 8: Dynamics problem in an unusual orientation (prob 8 on the original test) [6 marks]
Jan 14 - TEST - Dynamics - Chapter 4 and worksheets
What to work on over Winter Break:
Prepare for the Chapter 4 test! You have several "Dynamics" worksheets with answer keys posted. In addition, the questions specified on the "static equilibrium booklet" as relevant to chapter 4 are excellent practice.
- In the last week of classes in December you will learn how to do problems involving torque - you should practice those over the break as well.
STATIC EQUILIBRIUM WORKSHEET BOOKLET: Do the following (answer key is posted below)
- all the chapter 4 types of problems (to prepare for the January test)
- horizontal beam torque problems: page 3 #3; page 4 #1; page 5 #5; page 6 #9; page 8 #16, 17; page 10 #20, 22; page 14 #5; page 16 #1; page 18 #1, 4, 6, 7
Before Winter Break (Dec 19) - Hand in Projectile Lab corrections
NOTE: Both versions of the Chapter 4 quiz are posted below (answer keys will be posted within a few days). You may use these as practice worksheets.
Tues Dec 11 - QUIZ - Dynamics and systems of masses (Chapter 4 - including worksheets)
Chapter 3 ReTest -
- Dec 4 at LUNCH: Concepts [re-test of multiple choice concepts - 10 marks]
- Dec 5 in class: Problems [re-test of problems section - 30 marks]
*** If you write the re-test on these dates I might (hopefully) have time to mark them and make the change to term 1 before report cards are printed. But, if I don't have have time before printing the change will be reflected on your next printed report card ***
Chapter 4 assignment (should be review of grade 11 material)
- Focus on Concepts # 1 to 8
- Problems #1 to 10
NOV 27 - Projectile Lab due! - all 3 graphs, and the full booklet, all questions - (this will be included in your Term 2 mark because I won't have time to mark them all before the Term 1 marks are due)
Due Nov 27: Chapter 4 - Focus on Concepts questions # 1 to 8: Answer the questions and explain your reasoning for each answer.
NOV 22 - LAST DAY TO HAND IN TERM 1 ASSIGNMENTS
(if you submit them after Nov 22, I won't have time to mark them before report card marks are due)
Check your marks on your MyEd portal to make sure that you have handed everything in: https://myeducation.gov.bc.ca/aspen/logon.do
NOV 22 - TEST - Chapter 3.1 to 3.3 - Projectiles in 2-D
This video explains the kg problem: www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_e1wITe_ig&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3ByoIahdzsnynGvM6hkCgstDNsfTajbgls18OLee-3EwvlPRGRJySI7V0
DUE Wed Nov 14 - at the end of the block (i.e. you can ask for clarification before you hand it in);
Page78/79 Focus on Concepts # 1 to 9 (#9 is tricky! It requires a mathematical proof). Problems # 13 to 15, 18, 20, 42, 43, 77
NOTE regarding the Chapter 1 + 3.4 (Analytical Methods)Test results and re-tests:
The tests are marked, and you can check the MyEd portal for your marks.
- The multiple choice section [8 marks] was generally well done. There will not be a re-test for that section.
- NOV 14 in-class ReTest - Problems 1 to 7  marks: There will be a re-test opportunity for this section (date to be determined). Overall this section was well done, but some students struggled and need more practice on these concepts.
- NOV 5 - in-class ReTest - Problem 8  marks: Results on the river problem are mixed (some students did very well, some struggled with the concepts, and some just ran out of time).
Wed Nov 7 - Optional ReQuiz - Physics 11 Review - Graphing (re-quiz of the Sept 28 quiz)
Thurs Nov 1 - Optional ReQuiz - Physics 11 Review - Kinematics in 1-D (re-quiz of the Sept 17 Quiz)
Fri Oct 26 - TEST - Analytical Methods of working with vectors in 2-D: Chapter 1 and 3.4 (and all worksheets on the topic)
Due Oct 22 - Page 21 Focus on Concepts #8 to 18; Page 23 to 26 Problems #23, 24, 25, 40, 50, 57, 66
Mon Oct 15 - TEST - Graphical Methods of working with Vectors in 2-D
- you need to bring a ruler and protractor to the test
- all questions will be solved using scale diagrams (not calculations) as in the "Graphical Practice Test - 2013". The style of the test will be the same as the practice test.
DUE Thurs Oct 11 - Text book page 83 #53, 60, 62
DUE Tues Oct 9 - Rivers and Airplanes Worksheet Part 2 - Analytical Methods (Pythagorean theorem, trig, sine law, cosine law)
TRY before the Thurs Oct 4 class: Rivers and Airplanes WS Part 2 (give it a try - there will be further instruction in class on Oct 4 -- if you attempt the work in advance, and struggle with it a bit, the lesson will be more meaningful to you)
Due Tues Oct 2 - Rivers and Airplanes WS Part 1 #4 to 7 (complete in class)
Due Tues Oct 2: from the textbook (Physics, 9th Edition, Cutnell and Johnson) :
Page 21 “Focus on Concepts” # 1, 2, 5, 6
Page 22 Problems # 12 to 17
Fri Sept 28 - QUIZ - Physics 11 Review: Graphing: All graphing topics on the review worksheets, including:
- slopes, equation of straight line graph, area under curve of V vs t
- interpreting graph sketches
NOTE regarding the "Kinematics in 2-d Rivers and Planes" worksheet.
* Next class I will give further instruction on how to do page 1 (graphical methods), but you can give it a try now (#4 to 7).
Please do not work ahead on pages 3 and 4 until I give you some pointers.
* Answers to Page 1 #1 to 3 (correction for block 1 .. I made a mistake in class)
1. (a) 3.0m/s [East] (b) 3.0m/s [West] (c) 0.0 m/s
2. (a) [West] (b) 5.0 m/s [West] (c) 2.0 m/s [West]
3. (a) [East] (b) 5.0 m/s [East] (c) 8.0 m/s [East]
Mon Sept 17 - Quiz - Physics 11 Review (Significant digits and Kinematics)
- the kinematics questions will include the following types:
- constant velocity, and motion in which an object travels at one constant velocity, then changes to a different constant velocity
- constant acceleration - horizontal motion
- vertical projectiles (constant acceleration due to gravity): could be dropped from rest, thrown upward, or thrown downward
Documents and Links
A useful resource for exam prep -- old Physics 12 Provincial exam samples: www.bced.gov.bc.ca/exams/specs/resource_exams/physics.htm
Physics Final Exam in June – Chapters 18 to 22: Your homemade Equation/Information Sheet